Eaton Fuller Hybrid Transmission Fault Code 85 – Shift Control Device Incompatible
Fault code for Eaton Hybrid Drive Systems models (MY08) EH-8E306A-U, EH-8E306A-UPG, EH-8E306A-UP, EH-8E306A-CD, EH-8E306A-T, EH-6E606B-CD, (MY09) EH-8E406A-U/P, EH-8E406A-UP, EH-8E406A-UPG, EH-8E406A-CD, EH-8E406A-CDG, EH-8E406A-CDR, EH-8E406A-T, EH-6E706B-CD, EH-6E706B-P and EH-6E706B-UPG. Read below to learn how to test, clear and fix fault code errors for your Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo, International, and heavy-duty truck and equipment. The Transmission Electronic Control Unit (TECU) is connected to the shift device, which sends driver mode selection data. The TECU checks the vehicle for the type of Push Button Shift Control (PBSC) device during the first power up to determine if a compatible model is being used.
Fault Code 85 – Shift Control Device Incompatible Detection
The following preconditions must be met before the system detects the fault:
- TECU ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts and less than 16 volts.
- TECU System Battery Voltage Low Fault is Inactive.
- High Integrity Link (HIL) Fault is Inactive.
Note: When troubleshooting an Inactive code refer to the Product Diagnostic Mode (PDM)
Conditions to Set Fault Code Active
- FMI 12 is set anytime the TECU powers up and detects a non-compatible shift control device, or it does not receive a component identification 10 seconds after power up.
Fallback When Fault Code 85 is set the following conditions occur:
- Fault is stored in TECU memory.
- TECU changes to “AutoShift Fallback” mode.
- Engine does not crank.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Inactive
Only Inactive faults can be cleared from the Transmission Electronic Control Unit (TECU) or HCM history using ServiceRanger. The TECU automatically clears the faults from history after 200 hours and the HCM automatically clears the faults from history after the fault has been Inactive for 200 hours.
This fault code can be caused by any of the following:
- FMI 12
- Shift Control Device
Fault Code 85 – Shift Control Device Incompatible Test
Component Identification MY09 Systems:
1. Nut (2)
3. Push Button Shift Control 30-Way Connector
4. Backing Plate
5. Push Button Shift Control