Eaton Fuller Hybrid Transmission Fault Code 82 – High Voltage Battery 1 Temperature
Fault code for Eaton Hybrid Drive Systems models (MY08) EH-8E306A-U, EH-8E306A-UPG, EH-8E306A-UP, EH-8E306A-CD, EH-8E306A-T, EH-6E606B-CD, (MY09) EH-8E406A-U/P, EH-8E406A-UP, EH-8E406A-UPG, EH-8E406A-CD, EH-8E406A-CDG, EH-8E406A-CDR, EH-8E406A-T, EH-6E706B-CD, EH-6E706B-P and EH-6E706B-UPG. Read below to learn how to test, clear and fix fault code errors for your Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo, International, and heavy-duty truck and equipment. The high-voltage batteries are 172 volts each and are connected in series to produce 340 volts DC. The Battery Control Unit, located in the Relay Box, communicates with each battery to determine temperature, State Of Charge, and voltage. This information is then sent to the Inverter.
Fault Code 82 – High Voltage Battery 1 Temperature Detection
The following preconditions must be met before the system detects the fault:
- Inverter ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts and less than 16 volts.
- Battery Control Unit ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts. (MY08)
- PEC ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts. (MY09)
Note: When troubleshooting an Inactive code refer to the Product Diagnostic Mode (PDM)
Conditions to Set Fault Code Active
- FMI 0 is set when the BCU detects high-voltage battery temperature is greater than 158 °F (70 °C) for 6.4 seconds.
- FMI 16 is set when the BCU detects high-voltage battery temperature is greater than 140 °F (60 °C) for 6.4 seconds.
Fallback When Fault Code 82 is set the following conditions occur:
- Amber “Check Hybrid” light illuminates.
- Fault is stored in HCM memory.
- Inverter shuts high-voltage system off.
- HCM continues to control the hybrid vehicle in a diesel-only mode.
- Transmission defaults start gear to 1st.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Inactive
Only Inactive faults can be cleared from the Transmission Electronic Control Unit (TECU) or HCM history using ServiceRanger. The TECU automatically clears the faults from history after 200 hours and the HCM automatically clears the faults from history after the fault has been Inactive for 200 hours.
This fault code can be caused by any of the following:
- FMI 0
- Battery Fan
- Battery Fan Air Filter
- Battery Fan Relay Power Supply Harness
- Battery Fan Relay
- Battery Fan Exhaust Screen
Fault Code 82 – High Voltage Battery 1 Temperature Test
Harness Front View
(HCM – Hybrid System Interface Connector)
PEC – Low Voltage Connector
NOTE: Refer to the Eaton Hybrid Component and Connector Location for Connector Locations in MY08 Systems
NOTE: Refer to the Eaton Hybrid Component and Connector Location for Connector Locations in MY09 Systems.