Fault code for Eaton Hybrid Drive Systems models (MY08) EH-8E306A-U, EH-8E306A-UPG, EH-8E306A-UP, EH-8E306A-CD, EH-8E306A-T, EH-6E606B-CD, (MY09) EH-8E406A-U/P, EH-8E406A-UP, EH-8E406A-UPG, EH-8E406A-CD, EH-8E406A-CDG, EH-8E406A-CDR, EH-8E406A-T, EH-6E706B-CD, EH-6E706B-P and EH-6E706B-UPG. Read below to learn how to test, clear and fix fault code errors for your Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo, International, and heavy-duty truck and equipment. The Transmission Electronic Control Unit controls the Electric Shifter, which engages the different rails and gear positions. The Electric Shifter is comprised of two electric motors, the Rail motor and Gear motor. The Rail motor changes the rail position and the Gear motor changes the gear position.
Fault Code 73 – Failed to Engage a Gear Detection
The following preconditions must be met before the system detects the fault:
- TECU ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts and less than 16 volts.
- TECU System Battery Voltage Low Fault is Inactive.
- TECU System Battery Voltage Weak Fault is Inactive.
Note: When troubleshooting an Inactive code refer to the Product Diagnostic Mode (PDM)
Conditions to Set Fault Code Active
- FMI 7 is set when the Electric Shifter fails 5 consecutive attempts to engage a particular gear position.
Fallback When Fault Code 73 is set the following conditions occur:
- Fault is stored in TECU memory.
- If the fault sets while driving, the vehicle maintains the current position.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Inactive
Only Inactive faults can be cleared from the Transmission Electronic Control Unit (TECU) or HCM history using ServiceRanger. The TECU automatically clears the faults from history after 200 hours and the HCM automatically clears the faults from history after the fault has been Inactive for 200 hours.
This fault code can be caused by any of the following:
- FMI 7
- Dragging Clutch
- Shift Bar Housing
- Electric Shifter
- Gear Select Sensor
- Yoke, Sliding Clutch, Mainshaft