Eaton Fuller Hybrid Transmission Fault Code 71 – Failed to Disengage a Gear
Fault code for Eaton Hybrid Drive Systems models (MY08) EH-8E306A-U, EH-8E306A-UPG, EH-8E306A-UP, EH-8E306A-CD, EH-8E306A-T, EH-6E606B-CD, (MY09) EH-8E406A-U/P, EH-8E406A-UP, EH-8E406A-UPG, EH-8E406A-CD, EH-8E406A-CDG, EH-8E406A-CDR, EH-8E406A-T, EH-6E706B-CD, EH-6E706B-P and EH-6E706B-UPG. Read below to learn how to test, clear and fix fault code errors for your Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo, International, and heavy-duty truck and equipment. The Transmission Electronic Control Unit controls the Electric Shifter, which engages the different rails and gear positions. The Electric Shifter is comprised of two electric motors; one changes the rail position and the other changes the gear position.
Fault Code 71 – Failed to Disengage a Gear Detection
The following preconditions must be met before the system detects the fault:
- TECU ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts and less than 16 volts.
- TECU System Battery Voltage Low Fault is Inactive.
- TECU System Battery Voltage Weak Fault is Inactive.
- TECU J1939 Communication Link Fault is Inactive.
- J1939 engine torque is zero ± 5% and J1939 engine speed is within 50 RPM of synchronous.
Note: When troubleshooting an Inactive code refer to the Product Diagnostic Mode (PDM)
Conditions to Set Fault Code Active
- FMI 7 is set when the Electric Shifter fails three consecutive attempts to disengage a gear.
Fallback When Fault Code 71 is set the following conditions occur:
- Fault is stored in TECU memory
- If the fault sets while driving, the vehicle maintains the current gear and clutch opens when the vehicle stops.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Inactive
Only Inactive faults can be cleared from the Transmission Electronic Control Unit (TECU) or HCM history using ServiceRanger. The TECU automatically clears the faults from history after 200 hours and the HCM automatically clears the faults from history after the fault has been Inactive for 200 hours.
This fault code can be caused by any of the following:
- FMI 7
- Dragging Clutch
- Shift Bar Housing
- Electric Shifter
- Gear Select Sensor
- Yoke, Sliding Clutch, Mainshaft
- Torque locked in gear
Fault Code 71 – Failed to Disengage a Gear Test
The picture above shows the Shift Forks in the neutral position.
NOTE: Refer to the Eaton Hybrid Component and Connector Location for Connector Locations in MY08 Systems