Fault code for Eaton Hybrid Drive Systems models EH-8E406A-U/P, EH-8E406A-UP, EH-8E406A-UPG, EH-8E406A-CD, EH-8E406A-CDG, EH-8E406A-CDR, EH-8E406A-T, EH-6E706B-CD, EH-6E706B-P and EH-6E706B-UPG. Controller Area Network (CAN) is a high-speed twisted pair 500K proprietary data link with one 120 ohm resistor at each end of the link. Hybrid Control Module (HCM) is connected to the CAN Data Link at the 38-Way Connector. This link is used to transmit information to the HCM as well as communicate or receive data from the other modules on the network like the Electric Clutch Actuator (ECA).
Fault Code 19 – CAN ECA Message Fault (HCM) Detection
The following preconditions must be met before the system detects the fault:
- HCM ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts and less than 16 volts.
- HCM CAN Communication Link Fault is not Active.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Active
- FMI 9: Set when the HCM fails to receive ECA data (e.g., clutch position) for at least 30 consecutive messages, and it is still communicating with other modules on CAN.
- FMI 2: Only Active in PDM and is set when the HCM does not receive 3 consecutive messages from the ECA.
Fallback When Fault Code 19 is set the following conditions occur:
- Red “Stop Hybrid” light displays.
- Fault is stored in HCM memory.
- Operation mode changes to AutoShift only mode.
- If the fault sets at power up, engine does not crank.
- Electric motor/generator assist and regeneration are disabled; however, the high-voltage relays remain powered.
- If the fault occurs while driving, the ECA will either maintain current clutch position or move to the last position commanded by the HCM.
- Transmission defaults start gear to 1st.