Eaton Fuller Hybrid Fault Code 16 – High Integrity Link (HIL) Test
Fault code for Eaton Hybrid Drive Systems models (MY08) EH-8E306A-U, EH-8E306A-UPG, EH-8E306A-UP, EH-8E306A-CD, EH-8E306A-T, EH-6E606B-CD, (MY09) EH-8E406A-U/P, EH-8E406A-UP, EH-8E406A-UPG, EH-8E406A-CD, EH-8E406A-CDG, EH-8E406A-CDR, EH-8E406A-T, EH-6E706B-CD, EH-6E706B-P and EH-6E706B-UPG. The High Integrity Link (HIL) is a high-speed twisted pair 500K proprietary data link that connects the Transmission Electronic Control Unit (TECU) to the Push Button Shift Control (PBSC). Each module contains an internal 120-ohm resistor. The HIL carries information such as driver mode selection and fault information to illuminate the
Fault Code 16 – High Integrity Link (HIL) Detection
The following preconditions must be met before the system detects the fault:
- TECU ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts and less than 16 volts.
- TECU System Battery Voltage Low Fault is Inactive.
- TECU driver interface configuration is set to HIL.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Active
Conditions to Set Fault:
• FMI 2 is set when the TECU loses communication for 5 seconds or more with the PBSC.
Fallback When Fault Code 16 is set the following conditions occur:
- An “F” appears in the gear display.
- Push Button Mode Light flashes next to the selected mode and the “Service” light remains off.
- Push Button lights come on and then remains off if the data link fails at power up.
- Fault is stored in TECU memory.
- Operation mode changes to AutoShift Fallback mode.
- If the code is Active during power up, transmission does not engage a gear.
- If the fault is Active while driving, transmission remains in the current gear. It then shifts into the default gear once the vehicle stops. Clutch opens at idle and closes if the throttle is pressed. The vehicle moves into the default start gear only.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Inactive
Only Inactive faults can be cleared from the TECU or HCM history using ServiceRanger. The TECU automatically clears faults from history after 200 hours. The HCM automatically clears faults from history after that fault has been Inactive for 200 hours.
This fault code can be caused by any of the following:
- FMI 2
- HIL Data Link
- Power Supply Harness from TECU to PBSC
Fault Code 16 – High Integrity Link (HIL) Test
Fuller Harness Front View
TECU – Vehicle Interface Connector
Harness Front View
Push Button Shift Control Connector
NOTE: Refer to the Eaton Hybrid Component and Connector Location for Connector Locations in MY08 Systems
NOTE: Refer to the Eaton Hybrid Component and Connector Location for Connector Locations in MY09 Systems.