Eaton Fuller Hybrid Transmission Fault Code 111 – Inverter CAN Message Fault (HCM)
Fault code for Eaton Hybrid Drive Systems models (MY08) EH-8E306A-U, EH-8E306A-UPG, EH-8E306A-UP, EH-8E306A-CD, EH-8E306A-T and EH-6E606B-CD. Read below to learn how to test, clear and fix fault code errors for your Freightliner, Mack, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Volvo, International, and heavy-duty truck and equipment. The Inverter communicates with the Battery Control Unit (BCU) located in the PEC and the Hybrid Control Module (HCM) on the CAN high-speed proprietary data link. The data link is a two wire twisted pair with two 120 ohm resistors located in the link.
Fault Code 111 – Inverter Communication Detection
The following preconditions must be met before the system detects the fault:
- HCM is powered and ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts and less than 16 volts. The Inverter ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts and less than 16 volts.
Note: When troubleshooting an Inactive code refer to the Product Diagnostic Mode (PDM)
Conditions to Set Fault Code Active)
- FMI 22 is set when Inverter detects an internal CAN communication failure at power up.
- FMI 23, 24, or 25 are set when the Inverter fails to transmit, receive or obtain any messages on the CAN data link.
- FMI 26 is set when a specific message sent from the HCM is invalid.
Fallback When Fault Code 111 is set the following conditions occur:
- Amber “Check Hybrid” light illuminates.
- Fault is stored in Hybrid Control Module (HCM) memory.
- High-Voltage Motor/Generator Assist is available, but at a reduced amount.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Inactive
Only Inactive faults can be cleared from the Transmission Electronic Control Unit (TECU) or HCM history using ServiceRanger. The TECU automatically clears the faults from history after 200 hours and the HCM automatically clears the faults from history after the fault has been Inactive for 200 hours.
This fault code can be caused by any of the following:
- FMI 22:
- FMI 23, 24, 25:
- CAN Data Link
- FMI 26
- CAN Data Link
Fault Code 111 – Inverter Communication Test
Component Identification MY08 Systems:
Harness Front View
(HCM – Hybrid System Interface Connector)
Delphi 56-Way Mating Connector View
(Inverter Low-Voltage Connector)
Deutsch 19-Way Mating Connector View
(PEC – Low Voltage Connector)