Fault code for Eaton Hybrid Drive Systems models (MY08) EH-8E306A-U, EH-8E306A-UPG, EH-8E306A-UP, EH-8E306A-CD, EH-8E306A-T, EH-6E606B-CD, (MY09) EH-8E406A-U/P, EH-8E406A-UP, EH-8E406A-UPG, EH-8E406A-CD, EH-8E406A-CDG, EH-8E406A-CDR, EH-8E406A-T, EH-6E706B-CD, EH-6E706B-P and EH-6E706B-UPG. The Motor/Generator AC Cables are connected from the Motor/Generator to the Inverter. These cables carry up to 500 volts AC 3 phase when the vehicle is in operation.
Fault Code 5 Motor/Generator AC Cable Detection
- Inverters ignition voltage is greater than 7 volts and less than 16 volts.
- FMI 25–27 require the Motor/Generator RPM to be greater than 500 RPM.
- FMI 28 requires the Motor/Generator RPM to be less than 500 RPM.
- FMI 29 requires the Motor/Generator RPM to be less than 50 RPM.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Active
Conditions to Set Fault Code:
- FMI 21: Set when the AC interlock circuit is open.
- FMI 22, 23, 24 are set when the 2-phase motor current is more than 360 amps for 0.9 MS.
- FMI 25, 26, 27 are set when the Inverter detects a single open wire and motor current is less than 8 amps for 200 MS at speeds greater than or equal to 500 RPM and current command from the Inverter is greater than 20 amps.
- FMI 28 is set when Motor/Generator current is less than 8 amps for 200 MS at speed less than 500 RPM and current command is greater than 20 amps.
- FMI 29 is set during initialization. The Inverter determines if the AC Cable is connected between the motor and Inverter by sending out 20 amps for 200 MS and checking the feedback.
Fallback When Fault Code 5 is set the following conditions occur:
- Red “Stop Hybrid” light illuminates.
- Fault is stored in Hybrid Control Module (HCM) memory.
- Inverter shuts high-voltage system off.
- HCM continues to control the hybrid vehicle in a diesel-only mode.
- If FMI 28, or 29 is present at power up, the vehicle does not crank.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Inactive
Only Inactive faults can be cleared from the Transmission Electronic Control Unit (TECU) or HCM history using ServiceRanger. The TECU automatically clears the faults from history after 200 hours. The HCM automatically clears the faults from history after the fault code has been Inactive for 200 hours.
This fault code can be caused by any of the following:
- FMI 21
- FMI 22, 23, 24
- AC cable
- FMI 25, 26, 27, 28, 29